Saturday, April 16, 2011

So after quite a fair bit of procrastination, I've finally gotten round to getting some hiking done in HK. The first time we arranged to go hiking, I overslept but woke up in time for brunch (I know my priorities) with B and K. The second time saw me down with flu, so I figured it was third time now or never. That and the fact I gave myself a good internal rousing and telling self rather sternly that a bit of a workout outdoors would do me good instead of being cooped up at home being lazy and feeling sorry for myself.

Anyway I'm pretty glad I did as I ended up having quite a blast. Met up with P and K and two other girls to hike up HK's famous Dragon's Back trail (best urban hike in Asia apparently) over at Shek O and although it was blazing hot, it was really awesome fun. It felt good to get out of the urban landscape and sort of get a bit dusty and dirty in the countryside. And the good thing about Dragon's Back is that there's no cop-out route halfway so it was either we did it from start to finish or not at all.


 Spectacular view of the islands and the South China Sea with Clear Water Bay and Stanley on either side of the trail at the top, with occasional bamboo groves providing much needed reprieve from the harsh glares of the sun.


There were several times I felt like giving up but then I thought of what I had learnt and reminded self to stay with the moment, and that that too, would pass. Just one tiny step at a time and sooner or later, one would reach the top (or the bottom in our case!).


Hiking's a good parallel for life philosophy I think. :)

Ended up at a beach front shack where everyone had a a laugh while watching a dog swim out to join his owner on a canoe. This, I think, is how weekends and holidays should be spent. Simple pleasures with good company.

Best Saturday in HK ever. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment