Saturday, April 30, 2011

I just drank what must be the foulest thing ever.

It tasted so disgusting I double checked the label just to make sure I was supposed to be drinking it and not applying it externally. It smells exactly like how that medical ointment people use on their bruises smells, and tastes exactly how I would imagine it would taste. It literally burned my throat on its way down my esophagus, and the pungent smell refused to leave my finger even after I had washed it with soap about five times.

Argh.

Well the reason behind this masochism is Moon (love how HK has the weirdest names), one of my masseuses. I had been bitching about how bloated I had been feeling of late and my period wasn't even anywhere remotely due. In fact, it was just over and I should be feeling about as light as a feather and retaining as much water as one too. My back hurt and so did my hamstrings and the side of my thighs. Moon promptly proceeded to inform me that those areas hurt because of indigestion and poor lymphatic drainage blah blah, and sucker that I am for TCM decided to try the liquid herbal supplement she gave me (free, out of empathy and kindness of her heart, bless).

Huo Xiang Zheng Qi Shui

Anyway just to make sure I wasn't ingesting poison I went home and Googled it. This is what I found :
 Huoxiang Zhengqi Shui (simplified Chinese: 藿香正气水; traditional Chinese: 藿香正氣水) is a liquid herbal formula used in Traditional Chinese medicine to "induce diaphoresis and clear away summer-heat, to resolve damp and regulate the function of the spleen and stomach". [1] It tastes bitter and pungent. About 5ml to 10ml of this liquid formula is applied twice a day to symptoms such as "colds with accumulation of damp in the interior and summer-heat and dampness marked by headache, dizziness and feeling of heaviness in the head, sensation of stuffiness in the chest, distending pain in the epigastrium and abdomen, vomiting and diarrhea".

 I'm not sure how effective it is but I've taken to buying the sugar coated pill instead. Definitely easier on the palate. 

Bleah.

No comments:

Post a Comment